Alex and Maddy

Alex and Maddy

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tons of Pics

I have SO many pics!!!! Here it goes...ENJOY!!!!!!

Alex wanted to show Mimi how he roller skates! (early Dec)

Right before he got sick. We went on a train ride and had a ball with Grandpa!

Me and my Bug!

Alex and the conductor

He loves life no matter what we are doing!

Alex loves his Grandpa!

Christmas Morning

Even though he was weak, he enjoyed Christmas

The day took its toll

He loved his gifts

My Spy Guy

Reading his new Cub Scout Book from Grandma and Grandpa

Mimi's Boy

Bug's First Rodeo

The Pinewood Derby

Pack 422

My Sweet Boy

Playing games before trophy presentations

More Games

Overall Best in Show- 3rd Place

Proud Boy
Our last few days with Mimi were extra fun. Thursday we went to paint pottery. We made PopPop a surprise and I made a cross with Bug's handprint. Buggy painted a sign for his room and a airplane.
We had decided to take Alex to see his first rodeo Friday night as a surprise. We got him dressed in his cowboy boots and hat and headed out. He loved the rodeo, but didn't quite make it through the whole thing as he was exhausted.
Saturday was the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. It is an event the cub scouts look forward to all year. Once we knew we would be home from the hospital, Bruce set out making a car for Alex to race. We have a lot to learn! Needless to say, we didn't win any races or trophies for speed! But Alex's zebra striped car did win a trophy for 3rd place best in show. But the best part of the day was the presentation of Alex's other trophy. Alex won the first ever pack 422 trophy for the "Spirit Award" acknowledging his hard work, good attitude and joy of life. Mom and I both teared up as he was presented this trophy. It truly is amazing the way he chooses to live his life with a smile on his face. We could all learn so much. He carries a back pack 24 hours a day that weighs 1/3 of his body weight. He gets 30 doses of medication on a good day, more when he isn't well. He receives a shot every day and is stuck with a needle in his chest every week. And yet he will be the first to tell you that his life is awesome. I wish I had half the courage and strength that he has.
Sunday was a sad day as we shipped Mimi back to NC. We wanted to keep her, but we took her to the airport anyway. Through teary eyes, Alex told me he was going to look up in the clouds every day and hope God brought his Mimi back to him. He is Mimi's boy that is for sure!
Yesterday and Today we have been back to "normal". We are doing school and therapy and all our usual activities. Alex's labs look really good and he is feeling pretty good. We are up to 30 cc/hr on feeds and he is tolerating pretty well. A little nausea and pain, but nothing our tough guy can't handle.
Thanks for walking this journey with us!


  1. Great update!! I was going to say that I swear this kid always has a smile!! Amazing!!

  2. LOVE the pictures, Ali! Glad y'all are home again.