Well today certainly did not go as planned! The morning started off great with Alex feeling well enough to go for a little walk. He even went to the playroom. As we were playing he started complaining of a headache again. I asked him if he thought we needed to go back to the room. he didn't want to. I felt him and realized he was warm. I took his temp and it was 101.5. So we were forced back to the room. That is above our fever threshold so we had to start running labs, cultures on his line, a urine culture, a chest xray and a nasal wash to look for viruses. So far his nasal wash and chest xray are normal. His labs show a definite infection. The cultures won't be back until tomorrow. As of last check his temp was up until 102.7. We are not sure where the infection is at this point. He is still complaining of pain in his back. But his spirits are up.
He was happy to get to play with his child life girls and the music therapist. He has also been happy to see many of his favorite nurses. We have not yet started feeds as we are waiting to see how he does overnight. We will be in the hospital for at least another 48 hours as we rule out a line infection.
Thank you for caring about our Buggy.