Alex and Maddy

Alex and Maddy

Thursday, October 9, 2008

4 days and counting....​
Jen, Landon, Alex and I will walk out these doors Monday side by side. We would not have chosen it any other way.

Today is one of the most critical days since we have been here. We are concentrati​ng Alex's formula today from half strength to 62%. We are hoping Alex's body will metabolize as it should and that his GI tract will tolerate it. Dr. Koenig has decided that only pain on Alex's part will stop us. We are going to push through pretty much anything else.

Yesterday we did the hydrogen breath test to test for small bowel bacterial overgrowth. It was negative as we expected it would be. It was strictly to rule out his distention, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. We know that these are just Alex not tolerating feeds as well as we would like. We also did an experiment with his blood sugar and a recovery plan for if his blood sugar drops really low. We will now carry a syringe of 25 gram of D50 (50% dextrose). (For comparison most people would get a D5 IV if they went to the hospital for dehydration​). In the event Alex's blood sugar dropped we would give him the D50 through his J tube and it would bring his blood sugar up about 30 points for an hour and a half. That gives me time to access his port and start IV fluids or get to an ER. We are really happy to have something in an emergency.

On another positive note Alex, has gained back ALL of the weight he lost in the weeks leading up to coming in.

I can't wait to see everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment