Alex and Maddy

Alex and Maddy

Saturday, March 5, 2011

What a Crazy Day!

Sorry for the lack of updates yesterday. I was exhausted by last night. Yesterday started bright and early. I had the nurse in Jacksonville wake me up at 2:30 to catch a 3:00 AM taxi. We arrived at the airport and made our way through security without any trouble. We had a 5:00 Am flight that landed at 7:30. Alex and I both dozed off most of the flight. We were able to grab our bags and meet Ben to get to the ER. Even with the traffic we were at the hospital by 8:30. They were expecting us. We had visit fro Dr. K and Lakeesha as well as a surgery resident. We got a room quickly, unfortunately it wasn't on our normal unit. They were totally full. We went to the room and met with the team. We were expecting a quiet day and surgery most likely on Saturday or Monday. At 12:00 our nurse came in and said the OR was calling for him. He was probably the most panicked I have ever seen him. He cried to the point of hyperventilating and finally fell asleep in my lap. We were in pre-op for a while and then he was taken back. We are very fortunate that the surgeon was able to just dilate his stoma and pop the tube back in. Because we were going back to a floor that deals with less complicated kids we had to stayin recovery longer. His vitals were stable, but not normal. Finally at 6:00 pm we decided to send him back up to his room. His vitals continued to be troublesome. (HR's in the 50's and blood pressures of 60's/30's for those that are curious). The process was expedited to get us back to our usual unit. We moved rooms at 9:00 last night. Alex slept comfortable through the night. He is VERY quiet today and is on the verge of running a temp. We are watching him closely. His labs look pretty good. His clotting numbers aren't great so we are holding his lovenox shot which Alex is really happy about. If it is high again tomorrow then we will have to treat it.
I have so many people to thank......
To Mimi and Pop-Pop- for getting us to the hospital quickly and holding down the fort that first night so I could sleep a little.
To Grandpa, Aunt Jen-Jen, Uncle Jimmy and Skye-Skye- For putting up with another crazy, stressful end to a vacation.
To Amber- For being such an incredible friend and driving 2 hours to spend Thursday with us. Having you there made the day so much better. we miss you.
To the staff at Wolfson's Children Hospital- For being so compassionate and understanding. They really worked hard to make us comfortable and try to get us home.
To Dr. K and Keesha- For always being there. For loving us and being willing to work for whatever Alex needs.
To Missy and Ben- You guys are the truest friends anyone could ever ask for. Whenever we have a need you are there. It doesn't matter what day or time I know I can always count on you guys.
To our anesthesiologist and surgeon- both of who changed there schedule yesterday to ensure that Alex was less scared and cared for by people who know and love him. (It sure made mommy feel better too)
To all our nurses and Doctors at CMHH- For making this our second home. A place we feel loved and safe. For being our friends as well as our caretakers. We love you guys and are so happy to be back here.
To all of our friends and family- who prayed, called, txsted, emailed and sent ideas to help us get home. We continue to feel blessed by your love. Your friendship buoys us at our lowest moments.


  1. I'm so glad to hear that everything went relatively smoothly. I can only imagine the stress you've been going do have a great support system though, so that's a blessing! I hope things continue to go well and that you guys get back home soon!

  2. Glad things went well. Here's hoping for a quick, unevenful recovery. Hugs~